Blocking ads - why Firefox wins every time.

I'd forgotten just how bad the internet is for ads. I'd also forgotten how sedantary internet explorer is. I've been using Firefox and Adblock for so long now that I'm used to sites just coming up in a pretty quick fashion with no ads. One site I came across this morning still seemed to be coded in the dark ages, and insisted on IE - the pages just didn't work at all in Firefox. So I booted up IE and took a look. My God that's a slow browser. In the end there was nothing of worth on that particular site but I skipped over to CNN To read a story about a guy travelling 193 miles in a lawn chair with helium balloons (story) and it took forever to load. The site took plenty of time to load up all the winking, popping, flashing, moving, distracting ads first, and then showed the actual story, which itself was bisected by another ad. I copied the URL back into Firefox and the serenity returned. No ads, and the story came up instantly.
Below a screengrab of the two running side by side. In IE there's even a bloody ad in the "Most Popular" banner at the bottom right. I just don't know why anyone would still use IE.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The non-separation of the LDS church and Utah state.

Employees don't want much