Oh my god. Today was the day!

I just filed my 17th witness statement to the police today having been intimately involved with a traffic accident. A couple of cars in front of me a guy had slowed down to turn left and to yield to a wheelchair crossing the road. I saw two cyclists pass me on the cycle lane and then the guy in front went to go around the car waiting to turn left. He didn't look and creamed one of the cyclists. She went over the back of his car and knocked herself out on the street. I parked the car diagonally across the cycle lane to provide a barrier between the traffic behind me and the cyclist lying on the ground, and when I looked up, the bastard who ran her over was driving off.
What an opportunity! Time to be hero-to-the-people. Screw it - time to meter out some civilian justice. I've had enough of people like him.
I chased him on foot to the next set of traffic lights (thank heavens it wasn't far), opened his driver's door, dragged him out, threw him on the ground and tried to do one of those wrist-lock knee-in-the-back things you see on TV. I don't know how effective it was but I managed to keep him there despite all the kicking and verbal abuse until the police turned up. Once they'd put him in the police car, I was walked back to where he'd hit the girl on the bike. The paramedics were already there with cones and fire engines and an ambulance around my car. They thought I was involved until the arresting officer told them otherwise. I had to give a statement, obviously, and the boyfriend was really grateful. I got the "don't get involved" lecture from the police too. Pff. Whatever. If I hadn't got involved, they would now be wasting my tax dollars trying to find a hit-and-run on sketchy info.

The car behind me had had an air-med crew in it going off-shift and the car coming the other way had a U of U medical crew in it going to work so as soon as the accident happened, there were experts to help right away.

Today I struck a blow for common sense and decency. I admit it - I vented a lot of anger on the other driver. I was probably a lot rougher than I could have been but at that point I was going on instinct rather than common sense. I had red mist and wasn't about to let him get away with it.

Anyway - I didn't get his licence plate number so I had to chase him down. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

Comments

Joely08 said…
Damn man, that's pretty gangsta on your part for chasing him on foot.

Good job on being such a Good Samaritan!
Anonymous said…
What aman ! You're such a hunk :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The non-separation of the LDS church and Utah state.

Employees don't want much