Nice ride, but eventful.

We had a nice ride on the bikes today. After Mike and I split up, my ride became quite eventful. First I picked up a rock somewhere and it destroyed my high beam light - glass, reflector - everything.
Then when I stopped for petrol in Heber, I nearly burned the entire Sinclair station down. I put the nozzle in my tank and clicked it on and the trigger literally came adrift in my fingers, locked on. It went from bad to worse when the auto cutoff failed when my tank filled up and then I had fuel pouring down the outside of my tank on to two red hot cylinder heads and exhausts. I didn't have any other option than to yank the nozzle out and throw it over to the other side of the forecourt. Both me and the bike were covered in petrol and I was standing in a huge puddle of it already. Meanwhile, the pump carrier on delivering at full pressure in a fountain out on to US-40. I ran into the store and asked where the fire extinguisher was. Tammee said "huh?". I asked again and she asked why. I pointed to my bike, steaming in a pool of fuel whilst the pump was filling the storm drains on US40 with premium unleaded. Tammee was fucking useless so I ran out and looked for the fire shutoff. It was over the ice chest so I hopped up and yanked it and shut off 16 pumps of petrol. That irritated the piss out of 12 other drivers who were filling up but I could care less about that. Tammee had called her supervisor - the station owner - who must have either been in the back or lived very close by because he turned up about 3 minutes later and proceeded to try to explain how I was liable for nearly $400-worth of unleaded. I tried to explain to him that if it wasn't for me, his entire petrol station would likely have burned to the ground, and perhaps he should fire Tammee who was so totally useless she barely classified as a human being. I also made it very damn clear that if he even tried to charge me for the petrol, I'd be coming back with a lawyer. (I won't of course, but you have to speak the language or they don't understand you).
So what of the bike? Well, the alloy on the cylinder heads has tarnished badly. The plastics down either side have essentially been destroyed as has a fair part of the air intake and airbox. I can only hope none of the petrol got into the electrics or wiring. I made it home OK (ie. not on fire) after I hosed off the bike. Well - not so much hosed it off as took one of those petrol station windscreen washing things and dumped it over the bike. The bike doesn't smell of petrol any more (I still do) and it seemed to run OK on the way back. But if Sinclair decide they're going to charge me $400 there's going to be hell to pay. I've contacted the bank and had them block any transactions coming from Sinclair so we'll have to hope that works.

Comments

Mark N. said…
Holy shit dude! I am glad you are all right...
Anonymous said…
Ouch, hope you get the bike fixed. I'd be suing them for poorly maintained hardware.

Popular posts from this blog

The non-separation of the LDS church and Utah state.

Employees don't want much