More mine trouble.

I wasn't going to comment on the Crandall Canyon mine collapse over near Huntington. But the time has come to have my 2¢ worth.

One : the CEO is a liar and a crook. You only need to listen to him spouting off on TV to know that. He still blames the original collapse on an earthquake, despite geologists and seismic experts from all over America being able to prove otherwise.
He still claims they weren't retreat mining, which it now turns out they were.

Two: I've considered that they've been looking for corpses pretty much since day 1. It's horrible to say, but I think it's the truth. I can't imagine what it's like for the families, and I hope by now they've come to terms with the fact that it's more likely they've lost their loved ones.

Three: I've also said that they've been endangering the rescue crews with shoddy, high-speed tunneling and no roof supports, trying to find the buried miners. Well last night, the bleeding obvious happened - the new tunnel collapsed killing 3 rescue miners and injuring another 6.

Come on guys - we're well past the point of no return now. When the rescuers become the rescuees, that's when it's time to call it quits. The rescue effort itself effectively multiplied the number of dead by 1.5 which is simply unacceptable. Cut your losses, close the mine, and pray to your deity that the original 6 miners were killed quickly.
I hope for the sake of the families that the bodies get found one day, for closure, but by the same thought, hope they never get found so their families can remember them the way the were. I can't imagine bodies crushed by tons of falling coal would be a pleasant image for anyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The non-separation of the LDS church and Utah state.

Employees don't want much