Lessons in snow cleats.

Part 1: Do not use snow cleats if you have insulation issues in your attic.

I thought I'd be efficient and clever this year, so I fitted three rows of snow cleats to the roof overlooking the drive. The idea was to prevent the snow from avalanching off into the drive. Being a metal roof, it does that.
So following the first big snowfall, we went out and marvelled at how the snow was nicely staying on the roof.
And then last night we marvelled at the sheer size of the ice dam that had formed because of the snow cleats. So last night I spent two hours up a ladder hacking the ice dam off the roof and taking out the first row of cleats. Today, because of the warm weather, I went up the ladder again and removed the second two rows of cleats.
I'd rather live with having to clear the driveway of snow five times a day than having water running through the roof and ice destroying the shingles.

Oh - and Merry Christmas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The non-separation of the LDS church and Utah state.

Employees don't want much