Vroom vroom

Today I finally got the chance to drive on a racetrack for the first
time. I spent the morning with a friend out at our local motorsports
track doing a Ford Mustang track morning. We had about 30 minutes of
classroom session flowed by a familiarisation lap around the track in
a bus. At that point we each got assigned our own race-prepared
Mustang and it was game on. We had to follow the instructor around the
track in a procession. Every two laps, the lead student car went to
the back so everyone got a chance to drive quick whilst following the
instructor up close. Once our laps were done, we got to do a couple of
laps as a passenger with the instructor driving. At which point we
realised just how relatively slow we'd been going. I say relatively
because we were 'only' doing 120mph on the front straight and 'only'
averaging 50mph in the turns. So what. It seemed quick to me even
though I know the car was capable of far more, and more importantly it
was a blast. I can thoroughly recommend this sort of thing if you have
the resources and facilities close by. You'll come away with a
mile-wide grin.

Comments

Paul said…
What??? You enjoyed it??? But it's it's an underpowered american car with bad suspension!!! :-)
Chris said…
I know. Shocking isn't it. The power was definitely there but I could tell it had a lazy ass at least. Not that I was anywhere close to out-driving it.
Paul said…
From what little experience I've had (mainly dirt track ovals) it doesn't matter if you're in a heap of junk racing in a demolition derby or a 700HP sprint car, it all a blast :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The non-separation of the LDS church and Utah state.

Employees don't want much