The iPhone - no "it" factor.

I had a chance to play with the new iPhone a couple of days ago and I left the AT&T store considerably underwhelmed. It didn't leave me with that "must have it" feeling that a proper tech toy should do. I just couldn't get past the greased-up, fingerprinted and gunked screen. It looked like it had been on the floor of a chip shop. My current cellphone is bad enough with its little screen but the iPhone is a huge swath of ready-to-scratch plastic that gets covered in grease too easily.
The interface was nice, but it had no real "wow" factor. The text precognition didn't appear anywhere near as good as the stuff you get on Nokia phones nowadays. The browsing was so-so - small screen, slow download times. Even zoomed in, the screen was good but still didn't have any real zing to it. The main failing, of course, is that it's locked to AT&T. If anything is going to be the downfall of the iPhone, that'll be it. Unless someone hacks it to be able to use any provider, of course.
I'm liking the look of the OpenMoko Neo1973 phone. It's been kicking around in development for a year or so now, and it's sort of like an iPhone but it's an unlocked quad-band GSM phone with an open-source Linux interface. Looks OK on paper but I'd like to play with one 'live' before making a decision on one. I've made a decision on the iPhone though - it has nothing I want. For a tech geek, that's sad, because I'll buy stuff I don't need just because I want it. But not only don't I need an iPhone - I don't want one either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The non-separation of the LDS church and Utah state.

Employees don't want much