Lunch today saw me witness a truly atrocious event. At Burger King I ordered my lunch and the woman behind the till screwed up the order. The till wouldn't tell her how much change to give, so the guy she was training suggested they use a calculator. Then she couldn't figure out how to calculate my discount - 10% of $5.00. Quite apart from the fact that you can do that in your head, the trainee showed her twice how to do it on the calculator, both times coming up with the same answer, and both times she told him it was wrong. So then she got out a pen and paper and tried to figure it out like that, and still couldn't get the right answer (50¢ obviously). To get this far had already taken 5 minutes. In the end, the trainee overruled his supervisor and just gave me the 50¢ change.
So then I went to collect my lunch. And I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited. Eventually, I asked the guy at the handout counter where it was. Turns out it had been put out while I was still waiting for my 50¢ change, and after 5 minutes, they'd thrown it away assuming a wrong order. So then I had to wait another couple of minutes. Total time from the order coming out of my mouth to the first bite of burger : 12 minutes.
I was stunned. I mean it's bad enough that she couldn't handle the till not working, but to not be able to calculate 10% of $5 in her head, with a calculator or on a piece of paper is just abominable. And how old was this supervisor? Mid 50's I'd say. Clearly it's not just the younger generation of burger-flippers that are stupid illiterates.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The non-separation of the LDS church and Utah state.

Employees don't want much