Another innovative piece of software bites the dust.

About the most useful piece of software I've found in ages was Konfabulator - a tool which allowed you to write your own java-based widgets and have them appear on your desktop. Things like RSS readers, weather, stocks etc. Three guys wrote the tool and maintained the site, and today they sold out to Yahoo! for an undisclosed amount of money.
A quote on their site says "We're really happy about this and look forward to many years of continuing development, innovation, and damn cool Widgets."

Sorry guys - you got blinded by the money. Yahoo will compound and bog-down the code and turn it into useless bloatware before killing it off completely. Just like AOL did to Netscape. Just like Microsoft did to AutoRoute.

You guys are sell-outs.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Chris,

Much as I mourn the demise of good software, those guys are realists. If someone offers me a truck-load of cash for something I've created, they can have it. I have bills to pay and a lifestyle to which I plan to become accustomed.

Ivan.

Popular posts from this blog

The non-separation of the LDS church and Utah state.

Employees don't want much